Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Farewell to 5th Grade

Luke said goodbye to 5the grade yesterday with his Moving Up ceremony.  It seemed very official and, well, final.  He loved both Council Rock Primary and French Road Elementary but he's very excited for Twelve Corners Middle School.  I'd be sad if he didn't feel ready but he's really looking forward to it.  He received a nice certificate and a few handshakes yesterday and now we have 3 days left until summer vacation.  He had a great teacher this year, Ms. Giordano, and she did a really fun thing for this class.  She is actually planning to retire when they graduate high school.  Since she'll be leaving Brighton schools with them, she had the class create a time capsule that she'll open with them when they are seniors.  Now the one part that was difficult was the optional assignment she gave to the parents.  She asked us to write them a letter that they will read when the time capsule is opened.  

It was hard to do.  HARD.  How do you write a heartfelt letter to your first born, your boy, when you know he'll be much more like a man when he reads it?  It forced a quick succession of flashbacks of the last 11 years.  I tried to think about all the meaningful things I want to impart to him when he goes off to college (fingers crossed).   I sent the letter to Matt to review at work and he told me I should have put a huge warning on it that it wasn't something to be read while one was at their desk at work.  Hey, if I had to struggle through writing it, the least he could do was struggle through reading and editing it.  It was really very sad - a total tear jerker. I'll be a mess when I read it again in seven years which is way too soon.  
So here he is in all his 5th grade glory:












No comments:

Post a Comment