Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Amazon Dollars


Matt and I are the type of people who like to put our own spin on the the traditional.   Life would be much too boring to stick to the standard or status quo.  Our parenting style is no exception to this theme.  Usually children have some sort of opportunity to earn an allowance of sorts but our kids are earning Amazon Dollars.  Apparently, the frequency of my Amazon purchases led some people in our household to believe that everything on Amazon was free.  And thus, the idea of Amazon Dollars was born.  For good deeds, chores, basic good behavior and the like, Luke and Adrienne can earn dollars toward purchases on Amazon.  This has turned out to be a tremendous bribe motivator.  So far, most of the purchases have been Playmobils but Luke is now saving up for a golf cart.  Rest assured, this will never materialize because his Amazon Dollars burn a hole right through the paper they are tallied on and he uses them up rather quickly.  Adrienne, on the other hand, has already learned the reward of delayed gratification.  This little system of ours has been the most successful of anything we've implemented so we are going to stick with it as long as we possibly can.  This "tool" if you will,  benefits Matt and I as well.  For example, I almost forgot my running sneakers as I was trying to get out of the house this morning.  I already had at least 5 bags balanced on my shoulders and coco in tow when I figured out I was missing them.  Luke was standing right there so I said, "Hey Luke, I'll give you an Amazon Dollar if you run upstairs and grab my sneakers for me."  And just like that, I had my sneakers in hand and Luke had an Amazon Dollar. A win-win in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment