Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Happy Meal

I'm actually not talking about a kiddie meal from the land of the Golden Arches.  I'm just referring to Corinna by the pet name that her loving big sister has given her, "Happy Meal."  I mean, she is scrumptious and all - maybe that's what inspired this moniker.   It does roll off the tongue easily when using it as a term of endearment, "Come here my little happy meal," or "Aw, look at our sweet happy meal."  A bit more awkward to get out when adding some urgency or disapproval: "Don't touch that happy meal!"  "That wasn't nice, happy meal!"  Like most nicknames, it doesn't have the most flattering of rings to it.  Alas, I've found myself absentmindedly calling her this.      

"Happy Meal" has invaded all things.   Let's take the religious Christmas carol Away in a Manger for example.  And now let's add some of Ade's creativity to it and her version comes out a little like this:

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Happy Meal lay down her sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where she lay,
The little lord Happy Meal asleep on the hay.


So ridiculous but why would you discourage something so cute and harmless?  And I try really hard not to stifle creativity but make no mistake, I am nervous for the nicknames she comes up with for me in the future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment